Mission zero for buildings: thinking outside the box, staying inside the circles
EU laws on buildings’set the objective of decarbonising the EU building stock by 2050, but are they fit to do so?
What if targeting emissions during the use phase only, and relying on technology-based efficiency improvement is not enough?
While these measures are necessary and needed, it will take more to deliver a carbon-neutral building stock across the EU. This is particularly true given that embodied emissions are not targeted by any of the 20 EU policy instruments related to buildings.
On 30 September 2021, join us for a webinar to discover our latest paper “Sufficiency and Circularity. The two overlooked decarbonisation strategies in the ‘Fit For 55’ Package”. We will discuss the sufficiency policies that can reduce the demand for energy and materials in the first place, while delivering on the wellbeing for all within the remaining carbon budget, and how these policies interact with the circular economy principles.
We will talk the decarbonisation potentials of sufficiency measures and circular economy policies with Yamina Saheb, Senior Climate and Energy Policy Analyst at OpenEXP, and explore national and local experiences that promote a decarbonised built environment with Albane Gaspard, of the French Agency for ecological transition (ADEME), and Anna-Vera Deinhammer, Coordinator for Circular Economy in the Construction Industry and Program Lead of DoTank Circular City Vienna 2020-2030.
The webinar will also explore policy recommendations for the inclusion of both sufficiency and the circular economy in the upcoming revision of the EPBD.
- Adrian Joyce. Secretary General EuroACE. Campaign Director Renovate Europe.
- Yamina Saheb. OpenEXP, Senior Climate and Energy Policy Analyst.
- Albane Gaspard. Agence de la transition écologique (ADEME), Service Bâtiment. France.
- Dipl.-Ing.in Dr. in techn. Anna-Vera Deinhammer, Coordinator for Circular Economy in the Construction Industry and Program Lead DoTank Circular City Vienna 2020-2030.
- Manuel Ehlers, Head of Sustainable Property, Triodos Bank
- Karlis Goldstein. Cabinet of Commissioner Simson. European Commission.
- Eleonora Evi. Member of the European Parliament. Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance – Co-speaker of Europa Verde.
- Josefina Lindblom. Policy officer from the unit ENV.B1 “Sustainable Production, Products & Consumption”. European Commission.
Calendar events in cooperation with eceee. For more calender events, please seehttps://www.eceee.org/events/calendar.